Board index Calypso Bug Reports bluetooth page turner by Coda

bluetooth page turner by Coda

If you encounter a bug in Calypso, report it here

Post 04.02.2017, 09:19
I cannot get my bluetooth page turner foot switch by Coda to operate with Calypso Score. It works with other apps but not calypso. Will you be including a fix for this soon?

jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

Hi marimbaguy,

welcome to the forum and please apologize the delay for my reply.

At first I have to admit, that I don't have a PageFlip page turner pedal.

From your description, I have no idea what's going wrong. Therefore I can only give you the advice to configure Calypso for proper working. I know of other users who didn't expect Calypso to be cofigurable.

To do so, open the settings in Calypso. Scroll down the many options up to the category 'PAGE TURNER'. Shortly after you switched ON the option Use a Bluetooth page turner you'll get a notification if Calypso recognized your device. All toobars in the main view on the right get a small dot on the very right. This dot is red or green depending on whether Calypso could recognize a connected device. It will flash on any incoming data.

After you switched ON the above mentioned option, some additional options will be revealed. To configure your device, tap on assign page turner buttons. You'll get a panel of the four functions to advance to previous & next page and to switch to the previous & next song.

To assign a button of your PageFlip to previous page, simply tap that option. A spinning wheel indicates that Calypso is waiting for you to press a button of your device. If Calypso got any data of your device, the spinning wheel changes to a check mark and that button is assigned to the selected function.

Your device works as a Bluetooth keyboard. To be able to enter text in a text field, Calypso has to do some tricks. Apple sadly does not allow the developer to switch the virtual keyboard ON or OFF. Detecting an external keyboard and showing the virtual keyboard may disturb the normal behavior, if no Bluetooth device is connected. So I suggest to switch the Use a Bluetooth page turner option OFF if no device is connected.

Hopefully that helps. You may mail me if you have any further questions.
have fun & make good music

I gave up trying to get the coda pedal to work so sold it to a friend of mine who is getting good use out of it. I still need a page turner though so I’m wondering if you can tell me which Bluetooth turner on the market will work with calypso and my iPad Pro? I’m considering the Donner pedal or the Pageflip butterfly pedal.

jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

Hi marimbaguy,

sadly you didn't response to my last reply. I have no idea, what's going wrong. Whether it didn't pair or whether the buttons are properly configured.

Basically, any Bluetooth page turner just acts as a keyboard. That keyboard is restricted, though, to several pairs of keys like PAGE UP/DOWN, ARROW LEFT/RIGHT or the SPACE/ENTER key. If you don't switch the 'Use a Bluetooth page turner' on, Calypso will not do anything to the keyboard handling of the iOS. As the iOS recognized an external keyboard it won't show up the virtual keyboard when needed. So if you start entering a song title, no virtual keyboard will appear but you can change the cursor position by pressing the page turner buttons.

Marimbaguy, I can only tell you that the AirTurn page turner will work for sure with Calypso. The BT-105 is the only device I own. But I can't imagine of any reason, why other devices shouldn't work. As I mentioned these are just external keyboards.

I have downloaded the manuals of your STOMP pedal and the PAGEFLIP butterfly pedal. Both should work as expected. I won't suggest the DONER pedal you mentioned. I read some very bad reviews on amazon. Some complain the unresponsive buttons and others tell you, that it's not very durable. But as you know, there are always some bad reviews for every product on the market.

If you have owned a new pedal, please get in touch with me. Since iOS 11 introduced the video screenshots, I often send a solution with a video. Or the user may send me a video showing the problem. I urge you to use my support (support@calypso-score.com). I'm very responsive.
have fun & make good music

Return to Bug Reports