Board index Calypso Feature Requests Guitar chord tabulatur as symbol annotation

Guitar chord tabulatur as symbol annotation

You may request and discuss new features for Calypso

Would it be possible to add an empty "guitar chord tabulatur template" to the symbol annotations (for example 5 empty frets), where the chord could be defined manually by drawing the corresponding finger set on the template?

jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

Hi Quasi,

nice to welcome you here in the forum. Even better you came along with such a good idea.

I will add blank guitar tabs for you in the symbol palette. Thin can be achieved really fast. But you won't be happy with the current drawing capabilities when adding dots, crosses or circles to the tabs. I have to admit, I've done a terrible job when I implemented the drawing. But at that time there was no Apple Pencil around - only your fingers could draw - and therefore I didn't expect the drawing annotations could ever become so important. Though, the good news is you'll get much improved drawing annotation capabilities in the upcoming v4 with good support for the Pencil.

BTW: v4 will go into it's first internal testing phase this week before it gets available to the whole test team. During the testing I will improve and extend the annotation capabilities. No, I don't wanna provide you more info :(
have fun & make good music

Thank you, and I am looking very much forward to v4.

Another idea: I have noticed that the tempo can vary quite significantly within a song on concerts of our Jazz Big Band. For me it is very difficult to adjust the "calypso tempo" manually in this performance situation. In cubase there is a so-called "automatic hitpoint detection" function. Could such a function not be used in calypso to adjust the tempo automatically during a song using the microphone?

jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

Hi Quasi,

playing a tune faster or slower than desired, is more or less normal. It depends on your daily mood as we all know, but more often it depends on the mood of your band leader :P

Because of those band leaders and their changing daily moods, Calypso can automatically adjusts the performance tempo! It does this when you tap on a bar during the playback.

Let me explain this in more detail. You start a song on bar 1 - hopefully with the listener which itself is started by a long tap on bar 1 (but that's no requirement for the automatic tempo adjustment). The listener has the advantage, that you can adjust the tempo manually, for example by tapping the tempo during the leaders pre-counting. In a rehearsal you often play a tune more slowly to get comfortable with it. When you manually adjust the tempo within the listener this adjustment is only for the upcoming run; it is not saved. So on the next run, the playback engine will use the predefined tempo(s). But that was the manual tempo adjustment before a run.

After the song started and the spot (or cursor) advances, you may realize, that the tune is played faster or slower than normal. That means, the spot is at bar bar #20 when you play at bar #22 (you play faster) or you are at #18 (when you play slower). So you played 22 (18) bars when you normally play 20 bars in the same time. Calypso adjusts the spot but also calculates the new tempo. In my example it is approx. 10% faster/slower than the predefined tempo and continues the song with that new tempo.

You can prove this behavior by using Calypso's metronome. You have to switch the click to continues to be able to here it thoughout the tune. After you tapped on a bar and the spot advanced to that bar, you'll hear the accelerated tempo.

There are some restrictions to avoid you becoming crazy about that behaviour. The tempo never exceeds +/- 20% of the predefined tempo. You could ask 'Why?'. There are situations, where you want to skip a part. You want to not play the repetition and thus skip 16 bars. Calypso coult think: ah, he plays 48 bars in the same time when he normally plays just 32 bars. Then the tempo would be accelerated to 150%. But you just skiped an additional repetition playing the exakt tempo.

Instead of using those extrem tempo changes, Calypso will reset the tempo to the default one.

Calypso also adjusts the tempo only after it played a minimum amount of bars. The listener could have triggered before the band started to play (for example by the shouting crowd). Then you just want to adjust the actual position of the spot but not the tempo.

Because of those restrictions Calypso may not always react in the way you'd expect, but it's not bad.
have fun & make good music

Return to Feature Requests