Board index Calypso Help PDF Navigation

PDF Navigation

Get help from admins & users as well

Post 06.01.2018, 16:31
I've installed the new version and find that I can't simply scroll through an indexed PDF. It looks like the app now restricts you to the pages defined in the index for the selected song. This hurts because many of the indexes have a PageFrom but not a PageTo so you can only see the first page and cannot swipe to see other pages. I can open the navigation but it overlays the image (which IMO is awful).

One of the things I liked about CS was the PDF-centric nature. The new version is song-centric. I love the indexing but hate being restricted in navigation. If the intent is to prevent scrolling outside the song, I'd rather see a red bar displayed on the right or left margin (a visual cue) when at the end or beginning of a song (as defined by the index).

Post 07.01.2018, 13:50
jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

Hi JimChw,

Before I change the new behavior let me discuss this issue here in the forum:

I've installed the new version and find that I can't simply scroll through an indexed PDF. It looks like the app now restricts you to the pages defined in the index for the selected song.

That's right. Prior to v4, Calypso always showed just one page even if the song consists of more than one page. The PageTo parameter had no function. There was the requirement to be able to scroll to the next page of the current song. But this could lead you to the next song, which may be undesirable - or intentional.

Starting with v4 Calypso uses the PageTo parameter. It now preloads all pages of a song. In landscape orientation, which is more commonly used with a 12" iPad, two sheets are visible and by swiping you quickly navigate through all pages of a song. I had the feeling this is the desirable and much liked bahavior.

many of the indexes have a PageFrom but not a PageTo so you can only see the first page and cannot swipe to see other pages.

As PageTo wasn't really useful prior to v4, it very often had a wrong value. So, with the new preloading of v4 and the song-centric behavior, I had to curate the +16000 song entries and at least adjust the PageTo value. [When doing so, I decided to also check for spelling errors, adjust the song titles and composers to assign the song entries to the right underlying composition].

Curating all indexes was a tremendous work and I failed to do this free of errors. Before I started to reply to your post, I realized that at least the book '557 Standards' still has many songs with a wrong PageTo. As you wrote there is no way to quickly get to the second page. I therefore agree with you to bring back the ability to easily navigate in the PDF as in pre v4.

Until then, I'd like to suggest to

Sort by page# as the default.

Thus you can navigate through the PDF with the next/prev song buttons. In most cases this will reveal a missing second page. I'd also suggest to quickly adjust the PageTo parameter in case it's wrong. Simply

- edit the list entry
- tap the PageTo and
- adjust that value with the Sheet Editing Tools.
- tap Done

This can be done in less that 10 seconds.

I'm aware that sort by page# is not available in All My PDF Songs (because it's not useful).

If the intent is to prevent scrolling outside the song, I'd rather see a red bar displayed on the right or left margin (a visual cue) when at the end or beginning of a song (as defined by the index).

Good point!

Thank You, JimChw, for your comment.
have fun & make good music

Post 09.02.2018, 16:44
Thank you for your responsiveness to user issues. I know you work hard to deliver a great product.

I will try the work-around to display pages. I'm still having issues moving from one page to the next. Sometimes it works, other times not. I also experience delays when swiping. It may be that I'm using older iPad 2 hardware. Basically, my request is, no matter what PDF I'm in, in whatever view, to be able to swipe to get to the next/prev page in the current PDF. I suspect this is more difficult than I'm aware of. Thanks.

Post 27.02.2018, 12:18
jazzysiggi User avatar
Administrator

The latest beta, which will hopefully be available to the public tomorrow, did fix this bug. Calypso did not find a prev/next song, if there were a gap in the index (a PDF page not assigned to any song).

Hopefully it now fits to your requirement.
have fun & make good music

Post 14.04.2018, 21:12
To circle back here, the help I received is much appreciated. When I had some time between gigs, I decided that starting over was the best approach - much cleaner. I ended up exporting/saving all my existing indexes to Dropbox, deleting all fakebook indexes and importing the stock indexes provided by CS (a lot of work went into those, so yes, I'll use 'em). I re-imported my custom indexes from Dropbox. Finally, I associated each index with a pdf.

The only thing I forgot to do was export/save my setlists. I have nothing fancier than indexes and setlists, and I can recreate the setlists. Thanks again.

Return to Help